Tuesday, July 3, 2012

4th of July...What is that?

Okay.

I had actually forgotten the fourth of July thing. I basically forgot that that exists.

Honestly the only thing that makes me trunky is computers. I can wait for anything else. In the absence of having one I've realized that it wasn't just a time waster in my life. I was really good at computers. I could do just about anything. Excel, video editing, formatting drives, changing out chips and video cards, programming, etc - it all interests me. I am thinking I may do a minor in computer science after all.

In terms of missionary stuff we're doing pretty good. We have taught a lot and the people are doing good. The Abby-age girls have gone from 70% decided that the Church was true to a real and, in my opinion, lasting testimony. They like church, they like young womens, they go to everything, they read and pray - there's nothing they don't do. In addition, their parents are slowly getting interested. Their baptismal date is the 29th of July... the idea is that the parents be attending by then. If not, new rules will prevent us from baptizing them.

We have a lot of people that have big obstacles. I got somewhat angry with myself because we went with the intention of telling an investigators that he would have to stop working on Sunday, which would be somewhat of a problem from his dad who can only take days off if his son works for him. We went to teach that and the investigator started talking about how hard his studies were and how he was barely passing and how he was really disanimated... so I backed off and we didn't commit him to do it. Mistake. How are we going to teach it now? He can't get baptized if he is straight breaking the commandements.

It's made me think a lot about how I regard the commandments. I would just stop working on Sunday and look for something else because God doesn't give impossible commandments, and the faster I turned over my will the faster I would be out of it. There are some commandments that are much harder for me than others - for example, I was a first-class software pirate before the mission. Can I go back to doing that? No. I'm not sure how I'll operate exactly, but no. How could I? How could I huck all my eternal progress out the window for something I could pay for with money that doesn't even matter?

It's an easy argument to say that it doesn't hurt anyone or steal anything tangible, and that the software manufacturers charge much too much to compensate for all the pirating that goes on (which is absolutely true), but it's the same thing. What will I do when I want to mess around with Photoshop? Not pay $699.

But it can be hard to convey that to someone who's so new to the Church. We actually have two really good investigators with the same problem. I suppose before too long we're just going to have to be straight with them.

It's an interesting place to be trained for my companion. We are doing a lot better than I did with my trainer. At least we have investigators. I actually am doing better here than I have in any other place. We are getting above-average results in every factor. It would be very strange if I left here without five or six baptisms.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ABBY! Those two girls that are her age always ask about her. I try to imagine Abby at their age and I can't ever do it. They seem too grown up. I remember very well when we got her - shows how young I am. More people have seen her than you know - almost anyone with whom I am has seen her and asked, "Wait... your sister? Are you sure?"

Then I tell Mom's story about "Look at her lips!" and I tell them that it was never weird or anything. It got to the point (Jake will back me up on this) that people see you with her in the park or something and they say, "That's your sister?" and you would look at them with a "What are you talking about? Um, duh..?" Then some ten minutes later you think, "Oh... that's right."

I love you, Abby. It's gonna be demasiado (too much) fun when I get back. Happy Birthday.


I'm in for the concert thing. As long as there's good musicianship I'm in for anything.

I think my vision for how I am going to be when I get back is similar, but three times more vibrant and active. I am going to not just like backbacking - I am going to be an expert at it. I am going to learn how to build and fix stuff. I am going to learn everything I can. I am going to go to the gym and run. I am going to practice piano and even more so practice voice. I am going to learn Greek and Hebrew. (I learned Spanish on paper in a month; how much harder could it be?) I am going to be something. Somebody find me a project! I can't handle the idea of wasting time. Excel, painting, DVDs, pictures - whatever. Just something.

I think I mentioned too that I am going to change how I dress. Forget baggy cargo shorts (when I'm not hammering). I am in love with dress shoes and colored button shirts. And I'm oficially a 33 waist and a "medium tall," so I can get all that sick atheletic-fit stuff.

Sorry about that.

Okay.

We've actually been limited in wierd places to go but I think next week we'll be able to. I will be going to Maipu tomorrow for my last zone conference... ever... and that'll be fun. We're moving out on thursday to our sick new house. 

We've recently been in a rut of having people not show up to our appointments. Last night we only got one lesson the whole night. Lots of midnight contacts that aren't sure if you're going to rob them or baptize them. I think it is honestly just bad luck this week. We went to Ward Council and the whole leadership was pretty surprised by our initiative. More than anything I just say napoleon "yes" with the fist pump for my companion because he's learning how to really be effective in ways that took me a year or more to discover. That and the MTC, which is much more focued in what matters than when I was there. His mission is going to be so much less confusing than mine... I suppose by the time he has his own trainee he'll have figured out new stuff on top of that. Is this what it's like to be a father?

I almost know how to be a good missionary now that I'm almost done! Fantastic.

What more can I say? I'm doing better than ever. My companion is a baller. (He is basically me except from Argentina.) We did have to make a no-Babylon-during-proselyting policy. I think that's good though, because we have something to talk about always. It is not that fun to have a companion that says nothing ever or even only talks about mission stuff.

You know what I mean.


Elder A Conrad Crist
Extremist

No comments:

Post a Comment