Monday, July 16, 2012

Scriptures were stolen!

I have decided I still dislike moving.

It ended up being a big deal because we had to take out all the duty that was already in the house. We had to disarm (that's a spanish error)(the word for take apart is desarmar)... I mean, take apart the bed and the stove and stuff to be able to move it. My stuff is pretty scant - it was all these ridiculous plates and stuff we had to mess around with. We moved for like two hours with a car and two hours after. We still are missing a table but we've just not had time to finish.

I am working dang hard. We are doing a system of reference-seeking that's started to get somewhere. If you remember Josefa, Abby age, she's doing basically perfect - but we have to have her mom at least coming to church to be able to baptize her on her original date, the 29 de July. I'm starting to worry she'll want me to baptize her - which is not the idea. The idea is that they don't support themselves on me, for I'm practically toast. We have a lot of people but it's been hard to really nail them down good. It's a matter of calling and confirming - but even that doesn't always do it.
We have a wierd situation going with one. There's a new convert guy who is pretty good but lazy as Barack. He has a girlfriend who has decided to be baptized but we make appointments and the convert guy forgets or something. We've passed like six times like that. It's bizarre. Talking to him face-to-face you'd never think he'd do that. I always think that we have to be missing some understanding of his character - otherwise he wouldn't do that.

It is cold as Barack! The floor is pain-cold! Not cool. You basically have to shower as fast as you can because there's no other way to build up the resistance to cold to be able to dress yourself or otherwise function. The house itself is entirely ceramic except for a wood floor room that we don't use because it's too big - or be it, unheatable with the tiny heater thing we have.

In the end we stuffed everything into the bedroom - study tables, beds, mate, boiler, etc - to be able to heat the room up to a human temperature. That's where we've ended up. The rest of the house is an unoccupied freezer that will be really cool in the summer.

We are doing a reference program now that looks good. This ward is a ward of "maquinas" - machines. We're finding that just about every family's got someone that was listening or could listen. Or some inactives, at least.

To answer to your doubts as to my trunkiness, I can truthfully say that I am of the exact same level of trunkiness as I was a year ago. I always tell people that I don't even remember what it's like to be normal, so it's very similar to someone asking me if I want to go to... for example... Bolivia. I have no idea what Bolivia is like, so if you ask me if I want to go to Bolivia I will say, "I don't know. I've never been there." Similarly I say to people on the subject of going home, "I don't know. I don't remember what it's like."

Quote from weekly report:

"We're all moved out. It's certainly a lot nicer, if very cold. We moved all the stuff into one room to study and sleep there - so we only have to heat that room. That works.

With reference to the girls - well, girl, because with the other one we are teaching the whole family, but it's going slow - she does everything we give her. She has not missed any Sunday or Mutual for five weeks now. We are starting to make real progress with her mom, but she's been really sick recently, so we've not been able to see her. The other girl is starting from zero with her family, which has proved elusive so far. We'll see how it goes this week.

We have a newer investigator, Luis, who is shooting up to the top of our list. It is really a product of that he really wants to change and drop a drug habit he has which drives him to keep all his commitments. He reads and understands the Book of Mormon. It'll be a quick matter to bring some good member to get him to church.

I am, unfortunately, lamenting the loss of my bag, complete with scriptures and all other teaching materials I own. Somehow it was stolen in the move. Not to mention, my studies have been... mas o menos for this week. I am actually really sad about that - and I don't know how I'll get scriptures in time to actually work, as lds.org
 takes a good long time to arrive. Well, I'll see if the office can get me some or something."

That's right. I have no scriptures. I have been walking around with an old non-church bible and a hard-cover investigator Book of Mormon. All that work and stuff! I can't believe that my scriptures are probably weed-wrapper now! That's two years of work! I read the Book of Mormon and New Testament in their entirety! I don't know what to do. I think I'll just pull some office strings and have them buy me some. There is no worse thing to happen. Whatever. I still have my journals, at least.

I need to do some Excel nonsense.

See you.
A Conrad Crist

No comments:

Post a Comment