Monday, June 25, 2012

New Comp...Possibly last comp!



I have minimally lot very a lot to say.

 Oh, hang on - My companion is Elder Andrés Fernández from Mendoza, Argentina, which is just over the Cordillera on the Argentine side to the east. Mendocinos are Argentines but are significantly influenced by their proximity to Chile and Chile's capital, Santiago. They have a very reduced accent from that of the rest of the country ('ll' in Chile is 'y', 'll' in Argentina normally is 'sh' (and this is a sh that is almost spit). The most you'll get out of Elder Fernandez is 'zh' like 'montage'
It's hardly different, really.

 We are similar. Bizarrely so. We are exactly the same height, though his build is more like Jake than me. He worked in computer repair and helped his dad with a natural gas-repair business and is looking at studying "informatica" which is something like our "IT" Information Technology. Needless to say he's been around a lot of computers so we have that in common. Our musical tastes are like a Venn diagram that's almost the same circle, he going more toward Iron Maiden and I going more toward neoclassical and choir music. Still, anything like Battlestar Galactica soundtrack to Metallica to Sufjan Stevens would be in our shared circle. As a result we aren't missing things to talk about.

The sector is doing well. We recieved several references last Sunday after a talk I gave about Missionary Work that are looking like baptisms in addition to some seven people who are progressing well. I talked about how much the gospel can mean to someone who needed it. A couple people nodded as I talked so I felt good about it.

I used the good samaritan as a way of talking about how you don't only have to helpe people physically - that could be the easiest and least meaningful way, really. It's kind of hard to imagine how it is to not know what happens after death or how to get over difficult things. If you try, though, you get an idea.

 I was unfortunately sick this week, so my energy for contacting was limited. We did a good number even so. There's something called "greenie power" that is real. Their excitement and lack of memories of rejection make them great at contacting. You just have to tell them what to do and they do it. I imagine that we are going to pass a successful and very fast change.

 Also - he played in a rock band. He was a straight guitarist like dad. His guitar looks like Dad's except green. I mentioned to him the Marshall amp and he looked at me as if to say, "How did he get that??!" He definitely knows what those are. The person that is most like him that I can think of is probably Jake. He's a got a waiting girlfriend that sounds possible. He's a good guy and surprisingly mature for his time here. ANd he was in New York for three months and almost knows English. We're seeing what we can do about that. When I explained stuff to Elder Guevara, for example, it would take maybe three days to really get in. If I explain stuff like a computer process Elder Fernandez understands immediately. President said, "I met your companion in the MTC. He is perfect for you." He was pretty right.

 I have basically forgotten that I am going home. I can't really remember what it's like to be at home not doing this. I really can say I'm not trunky because I do not remember what I am waiting to go home to do. I like what grandma wrote me - act like you're in the middle perpetually. That's what I'll do. All the people will be telling me that I have little time left or something and I just nod and say, "Well, there's still work to do." I think I'll just be going on like I was a year ago and then it will just be over. That'll be super bizarre but it's a good ways away. I think the worst thing that's been happening to me is when I see Apple stuff (HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEWEST OPERATING SYSTEM??!!!) or when my companion fills me in on some technology-related things that have happened. Even that is shrug-offable. No problem. Sometimes I'll be walking along and I'll think, "How many contacts have I done in Chile...? I have been here forever..." but then we go into a house or something and I don't even think about it again. So whatever.

 Very good. See you next week. I don't really need any physical item here so just send pixystix and hot chocolate and stuff like that. I am going to need a new quad because I gave my English ones to Elder Guevara because he needed some. I'll get it at home, though. Spanish is the exact same for me now. I could probably go the rest of my life reading spanish and not have a problem.

 Anyway,
 Love,
Elder Crist

No comments:

Post a Comment