Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Rebar and cement statues of Mary and St. Teresa

I had a shocking experience this morning. As I prepared to play soccer today (with my cool jersey), I went to rip of the page of my calendar (cat calendar) and it reminded me of how much time I don't have left. The question inevitably came to my mind: How many PDays to I have left?

 Typing now, ending today:

 9. 9. What?

 And even for the much I didn't want to think about it, the number just pops back. Inevitably my mind starts to do the math - Two fast sundays, two more times to get money out at an ATM, two more initiative sets...

 The change is over. We'll know who leaves on Saturday, and said people will leave tuesday. It's possible that my companion leaves. Actually, it's more likely that he leaves. That will mean two more companions. I have next change, then half of the next.

 President has decided that our sector is big enough and has enough members to put in four missionaries. We have double coverage at almost all hours of the week of people to go out and enough families to give lunches. And the sector is 40 minutes tall and 20 wide. I'll be taking one half with whoever arrives and whoever is my companion next change will do the same. Of course, that person will have to learn fast because I'll be gone in only three weeks. I imagine it will be someone not super young.We'll see what happens.

 This week ended up going pretty well if with a slow start. The ward did conference this week, so there were some activities that we wanted to fill up with investigators. We managed one in one activity and none in the other, despite a lot of work. Oddly the sacrament meeting absolutely filled up to the highest anyone can remember - 135. No space anywhere. We also did a choir, and, for the lack of musical training in the ward I was basically obliged to participate. We sang Love at Home and Lord I Would Follow Thee, the former of which came out significantly better than the other. The tenor was pretty high for me and the others. Not only that, but it started on the highest note in the whole song. The song always started rough no matter how many times we practiced. I had so sing off to the side a little for the other tenors, but they couldn't always hear me. That's when we had problems. A lot of times they would hear the melody and just get dragged into it. Love at Home was okay, though.

 Our two investigators that are Abby's age are doing very well, except for one thing. President has come out with a new rule that kids under fifteen years old who are being baptized without active or interested parents have to be approved by him individually. It doesn't matter if they've come for a few months - if they aren't approved by the bishop and President, they cannot get baptized. One parent has already said he's completely disinterested. We're just going to have to interest as many as we can. In my last email from him, President said I should say to the parents that the girls can't get baptized alone and that mentioning parental condemnation couldn't hurt. It was going to be so easy! Time to get the whole family, I guess. Kids are so much easier to teach than adults! At probably 20 a person's ideas just weld on and you have to break whatever's in the way to put in the gospel. Some people just have a hole there already so it's a little easier - but some people have rebar and concrete statues of Mary and Saint Teresa set up already.

 Well, I'm sorry to be boring and stuff.

 9!

 I need to go get something for this terrifying rugburn I got while saving the goal. (My chapel has an indoor soccer thing.)

 I've decided I'm going to be one of those permanently slightly dressed-up people who always have cool colored button shirts and dress shoes on. Let me know what you think. It wins you something before you even speak.

 Note A Part of the reasoning for the pictures of me in various jerseys is to show the contrast between the design of football and soccer jerseys with reference to how they make you look. It's striking.



No comments:

Post a Comment