Sunday, March 25, 2012

Training a replacement

I'm afraid this will have to be somewhat fast because today I went to the fancy-pants part of Santiago to have a despedida (goodbye) lunch for an outgoing assistant. The office is cool for things like that. 

We are done! We finished doing all the pensions we needed for the new missionaries, so now we can return to normal mission stuff and easy routine pension and medical incidents. Yesterday a missionary "stepped" (Or rather, played football on) a pipe in a pension and blew it to pieces, so they got everything wet and had to have a plumber come over and put in some new pipe. I get the tithing dollar signs in my eyes when I hear things like that. 

Little sidebar here, I think the Dad fix-stuff-in-the-house-and-car thing did, in the end, stick to me. Elder Smart and I have been cutting down on expenses by doing most work on the pensions ourselves. The other day we took out another Ptrap and pulled out some... stuff and it ended up perfect. We were considering buying an arc welder... but then we decided that it would be good if we stayed in for a year, but that it was unlikely that the next set of office elders would be as into it. So we didn't. Almost anything else is our territory.

 On the medical front, it's just people with the normal problems: cough, ingrown toenails, my companion with an infection like the ones for which I am famous (I treated it personally), etc. It is my favorite part of the job, definitely. When the ward members ask what I do in the office, I say, 1"Bueno, fui financiero, pero ahora soy el encargado de medicina y pensiones." To which they say, without fail, 2"Tienes cara de doctor."

 1(I was financier, but now I am in charge of medicine and pensions.)
2(You look like a doctor.)

 The end of my time here is quite evident. I am in my last change of six weeks here. I know because President has asked my to get ready to train my replacement. So I'll soon be leaving my favorite sector in the mission. Well, my next sector could be my favorite still. I'd leave with three and a half months-ish. Then it's just a sprint to the finish.

 I just looked up and read about the package. I'm going to go see if it is in.

 I need to shop. Sorry. I'm no good.

 Well, I may send some stuff with Elder Christensen to you. We'll see how that goes.

 The church is true.

 Elder A Conrad Crist

No comments:

Post a Comment