Friday, March 9, 2012

3 of us to run the whole Mission

Well, we've almost (well, I've almost) finished upgrading the whole office to Windows 7, so we should be safer for the futures. It's only three to five years behind Apple! At least the networking stuff works more often.

I need to clip my fingernails! (Did you know that they grow faster in Chile because of the hormones in the meat?) (I clip them about every ten days.)

To get it said at the beginning, I think staying at home for the first semester will be an appreciated shock absorber for all the "tramites", or rather, to-dos of getting back. I have to say here, though, that that will be that last time I live at home. I also am done having room-mates in the same room. That is over.

I will ask for permission to get on and start looking at classes. President King is forming a three-week-early group for my group, because more than half have to go home for school. It will almost certainly be the 21 of August.

I have no idea what to do about scholarships. You will have to just impersonate there and do the government and New Century one, I think. I don't know/have the information I need to do it. I'm coming back with basically no money or anything like that. I will certainly need a computer. Phone is medium-low priority comparatively. And a solid bicycle. Dad rode that path for a year or something, so I know I can do it. I think I'm going to avoid cars at all cost for another three years.

I will have to work. I don't know where. Two things jump out to me - TA in a science class or in the Missionary Department doing international finance coordination. I work with people who are back in Provo and Salt Lake who are just missionaries in school after. I know a pretty ridiculous amount about Chilean finance and law now, so I may have a chance there. I'll have to see when I get there, of course.


Now, let's talk about what you came here to read.

I have not done dedicated missionary work for four days. Elder and Hermana Dorius, the senior couple that's still here, have to leave. On Monday. Their planned return date was the end of this six week change. Do you know what this means?

Hna Dorius has trained us how to put in convert data, and Elder Dorius has filled us in (it took three hours) on all the work that's left to do in the pensions in the mission. Hna Dorius showed me the medical log and how to set people up to go to the doctor.

In short, Elder Smart and I are responsible for finding, renting and furnishing seven new companionships that are arriving to the mission. And putting in convert data. And distributing the mail.

And it's all on us. Everything.

We went over to the Dorius' apartment to talk last night, and we helped them move out today. It's real now. The office is three missionaries. No matrimonies. I have to be the mission doctor!

"Dizzying, but really fun." That's what I call it.

As we wrapped up the meeting last night, Hna Dorius said probably the grandest complement I've ever received. She said, "But, you know, I'd be worried if it was someone else, but I know that you'll do excellently. I'm not worried." I looked over at her starting to laugh to break the sarcastic joke she may have made. She just said, "What?", seeming to not know why I laughed.

Hermana Dorius thinks we can run the whole mission!

I can't tell you how satisfying that is after working for all this time to be at least dependable. I set a goal about eight months ago to "Be the embodiment of the Scout Law." The mission worked!

All our investigators have been on vacations until today or Sunday, which is a little God-organized help due to the Dorius' leaving. We have three "slam-dunks" and we're waiting on another one that could reappear at any moment. I will talk missionary again soon. For now it's all advanced logistics and finance. Sorry. Our first normal day is tomorrow.

I've been thinking a lot about how we look at numbers in the mission. It always is tempting to compare up (and down) numbers between sectors and missions. I have basically no numbers, and I am doing non-spiritual things, and the difference is striking compared with other sectors that are doing well right around me. But somehow I am being bettered by this, and prepared for the future. That much is more than clear. I just don't know how. 

I shall attempt to be more inspiring next week.


Note A

Socks! Enviar! Send! Disposable fountain pens too. I really don't lack food here so much.

Note B

Got Package! Ate! Liked the Kato one!

No comments:

Post a Comment