Monday, October 17, 2011

Two Elder Crists'


I had been praying all week that these two missionaries could at least see each other while they were in Chile. We also learned there would be a huge celebration in Chile that the missionaries could be at. So we were praying extra hard and it payed off. They did indeed get to see each other but not for long enough. Is it ever long enough? This will be one of the stories they tell their children and it will become more and more precious over the course of their lives. Yay, I am so happy it could happen!
Alex does not explain this very much in the letter and I will still have to figure out the attaching audio part. It was very cool to hear him speak about it though!



This week was very... different. We only had like three lessons the whole time, but they were good. We have some really good progressing people, finally. I really got shanked this week because my computer was being dumb and now everyone wants to leave without me. I hope you enjoy the audio - I did.

I think if I could put a name to this part of my mission, it would be "getting better at contacts and finding people." I've always been pretty good at teaching, but contacts have never been something I've wanted to do. I got up one morning and decided to be more personable in doing them. I don't know why it took so long to arrive at the conclusions to which I arrived that morning.

It's helped a lot. Suddenly I learn lots of random stuff, and almost ever person with whom I talk is a pretty decent investigator. We can go out at talk to ten people and get three to listen. That's just unheard of to me. It came from something I have relearned several times in different areas of life - think less, not more.

Elder Mann, my trainer, (who's now the assitant to the President, by the way) talked about how once there was a man who sold strawberries. He had a large cart full and he never sold very many. He thought to himself, "I think I know what I can do - I haven't been working hard enough."

So he bought a truck and filled it with strawberries.

Sometimes it doesn't need to be harder to be better. Take Jesus Christ, for example. Do you remember about the crazy flying fiery laser serpents that bit all the people in Israel? And what did they say to the cure of looking up at Moses' hastily forged snake stick thing? Whatever, man; ¿adónde la viste?* That's ridiculous!

So they died.

Anyway, the pension is still fun, for there are still four super white people in a house in the middle of south Santiago by that good bread place. Elder Tyler, who replaced Elder Lowry (whom was known by Kelsey from a church history trip - confirmed)(who has since gone to the most flayte-ganster part of the mission, Ochagavía) is from about sixty someodd miles from our house toward Logan. He's new, and cool. So life is still fine.

Our ward mission leader has completely disappeared from existence, unfortunately. The entire ward is looking for him, and he will not answer any phone calls. He arrives at eleven and leaves at nine so we are absolutely unable to get him. Elder Van Dyke says that it says one thing to him: sin.

Just a note here, isn't it ironic that people run from God when they sin? Can you see a guy missing a hand running away screaming from a surgeon? "No!! I like it this way! It's better because my hand won't ever get hurt again!"

Anyway, that is our fear. I'm not sure what to say to him when we meet him. But that's what the Spirit's for, right?

Well, carry on. Listen to my audio. It's about Elder Crist. The not-me one.

Listo, chau,
Love,
Elder A Conrad Crist

*"Whatever, man!"

No comments:

Post a Comment