Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chilean Independence Day






I so look forward to hearing from Alex every Monday! I have had to be a little relaxed in that a few times. Yesterday was the Chilean Independence Day and I had a little bit of a heads up so I wasn't frantic. But still, I really like to get his letters and I didn't and I watched some missionary homecomings and I do NOT recommend doing that. It is still very far away and I cannot get that in my head yet!


Okay. It appears that no one listened to my recording in which I complained about the shaving situation.
Look. I need to get an electric one. I've been trying to find one here but it's pretty hopeless, and the metal kind are killing my face. It's become a problem to the point where I've been using my fellows' electric ones. The ones here are low-end American brands at best, scary Chilean homemade ones at worst. I don't know what you think exactly, but these ones my companions have work decently well. Maybe you could research it a little and find me one? With a little effort I can make it work, but buying one here is sketchy.

This week's been okay. We didn't get all the numbers and stuff we wanted but I don't feel like I should have done anything really different. Sometimes people are just not interested. We put times with people and then they just aren't there. It's kind of frustrating, and it becomes really easy to walk into the day not really expecting anything to happen. Which isn't so great for the excitement level.

Elder Burk and I are doing well too, with only an occasional personality difference or something like that. I figure that every missionary has one of three big motives - Truth, Love, or Faith. I am a Truth missionary, with a fair amound of Love. That's how I think and act. Elder Burk is a Faith missionary. There can be a little friction at times, but as long as the pride is minimal, there's no problem.

The Chilean Independence Day was pretty much the entire country in barbeques, kite-flying contests, and drinking contests. We didn't do a ton of stuff. The party we were allowed to go to was fun. It was a little small, as the ward was small. I ate like six empanadas and twelve anticuchos, which are essentially small shishkabobs. And like two liters of soda. Good real sugar Coke.

Then we a had a PDay wherein we couldn't shop or do internet, as you suspected. So we had like eight hours of doing whatever we wanted. We flew kites, we played soccer, we ate pizza, and we cleaned up some gross stuff under the kitchen appliances. I don't know if I've said yet, but Elder Lowry stayed here, and got Elder Van Dyke, an Elder from my district in the MTC. Needless to say, we've had a fair amount of reminiscing about the MTC a fraction more than a year ago.

Sickening how it's been that long.

But anyway, the pension is still fun, if not as insane as it was when Elder Myres was here. I think you've seen those pictures of him firedancing and stuff. We don't do so much of that anymore.

Unfortunately we're all getting a gross gut-and-aches virus. Elder Lowry is going to the hospital for it. So it's not great.

I'm glad to hear everything's pretty good. Make sure Connor doesn't get too messed up about getting hammered by grades - if his grades where always about 95 he would not be taking hard enough classes. Does everyone still go to Grandma's house for dinner? That was like my favorite thing. Heck, it still is


Alex sent this much, then more!


Maybe I'll just end an email without wierdly sending it halfway through. The computer's being wierd so I'm being sure it doesn't crash without me getting a word off.

I gave my first ever talk in Church last Sunday. Which was wierd, being that I've been here so long. I was very pleased that at several points I paused and could not hear a single sound as people pondered what I said. I told them that when God brought them into the church, He called them into His service. Forever. I urged them to work and help others. I hope someone heard it. It was really the first super- cutting talk I've ever given. I didn't laugh at all. I felt like that one time President Monson got up in Priesthood and just said it straight. (Last Conference, I think it was). I felt really hot when I asked, like Jesus did to Peter "lovest thou me more than these? Feed my sheep." I'll never forget how it felt to say it to them as a ward (Ask my about this in 10 years and I'll recognize it.) Villa Brasil - Me amas? Apacienta mis obvejas.

Sorry to go lame on you.

Find me a shaver please! They have told me that phillips and braun, especially braun are good. Keep up the emails. They worked.

Thanks, love, and stuff
Elder A Conrad Crist

No comments:

Post a Comment