Monday, November 8, 2010

He has flown the coop!

This week we get no letter from Alex but WE got a phone call! Actually, let me back up one day and say that I went down to the Temple and sat around and waited (about 1 1/2 hours). I was about to give up when I saw another group of missionaries coming and I saw him. I still recognized the way he walks. I wonder if I would ever forget it actually. We surprised him and I think he was a little shell shocked. He didn't really know what to say or even do. He kept asking some of the others what he should do. He walked away from us at first but came back. There was some random missionary there that was a nark. Alex told us today that he really thought he was going to report him to the authorities. Whatever!! I attend that Temple too. It is not just for missionaries on Sunday. Besides, if anyone was going to get into trouble it would be me since he had no idea that we were going to show up. It is a bad thing to live less than a mile from the MTC. I seriously thought I would see him a few times. I never once in 9 weeks saw him. I had to go just to get a glimpse. I would have been fine just being able to see him from afar. I would like to report that he looks great! He had a whole bunch of guys around him and they were all speaking in Spanish! Totally cool.
On the phone he said that he is nervous and excited but more apprehensive than anything else. I think he nailed that. He gets in at 7:25am and they get to do a whole day of work before they get to rest. Hopefully the airline is generous in blankets and pillows and comfort. The only sleep they will get is in the air. Apparently they want them to get right to work and not be able to sit around and hang out. "We aren't on vacation. We have something we want to share" Direct quote.
Many of you know that Alex is very picky when it comes to food. He says he is way exctied to eat some of the meatcakes, fruit compotes, and bread. All of the things the Country does not have to import is cheap. So I think he will eat pretty well. He does love plain fruit and most non-white bread. I would not say he is very adventurous in what he eats though. Maybe he will be a changed man when he gets back.
The only thing that has me worried is that he said he thinks it will be too long. 22 months is long and he said he could be graduated and off to Medical School by then. But, he may change his tune once he gets on a roll. Brian said he thought the same thing when he was on his mission and it turned out pretty short. We can hope but I think it is long as well! And I have no message to share. Well, nothing like him. Maybe a few short lectures on eating right and sleeping in!!
Well, that is all I have to report. Alex is where he needs to be doing what he needs to do and I will miss him every second he is gone.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is a long time too! I miss my best friend!! But I know he is where he needs to be! (: Will you let me know when you have his new address? (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I do not have an address yet. Sorry. Maybe you can email him at alex.crist@myldsmail.net That is where we are sending our letters to and he is responding. I am not sure you are supposed to but for now it might be ok. ????? As soon as we get an address though I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....I don't think he is supposed to email anyone except family, and I don't want to get him in trouble. :/ Could you perhaps just put in a little "Hi! How are you? from Kelsey" in your next email? and tell him that I will write him when I get the address? I would really appreciate it! Could we just do things that way until you get an address? (:

    ReplyDelete