Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Week # 5

Sorry we are late getting this one out. Alex didn't write until late afternoon. I was gone from mid afternoon until late night and I just thought maybe he was too busy so didn't check until today. He seems so mature and his ability to handle everything is probably ten times what he was used to. He just seems to get the whole thing!

October 12, 2010

On the subject of pudding...maybe. I don't know how that would work, But yes.

I won't talk too much about my companion nowdays because I sent a letter about the situation on saturday. I was feeling a little trashed at that point, so it may be a little depressing. I mean, the situation is still depressing but I can feel something is going to change soon for him. It may not be that he stays.

Two Elders have been sent home from our district for emotional problems. You never expect it, and that's what makes it so hard when they call everyone together and tell them that tomorrow we;ll wake up and they;ll be gone. Twice now. And it it;s really hard on my companion because I think he wants to go home but his honor is keeping him here until someone tells him to go home. He cried all night both times it happened (within a week). But you;ll get plenty of that.

(Note, the companion I had first was moved to another Elder, and the companion of my current companion left to Guatemala CCM.)

I'm just going to move on.

Do you know how to learn a language? It;s not memorization. It's not flash cards. It's learning like a toddler. You read two-year old books, then five-year-old books, etc. The reason I think of this is everyone was making fun of me for buying a Spanish kid's Picture Dictionary. Sounds ridiculous, right? It is. I can barely stand the cover with a bunch of dorky smiling people on the front. I'm reminded of Richard Scary's Busytown, though. When you think about it, that is how you learn what a wire whisk or combine harvester is when you're a kid. There's so much stuff to be familiar with to know what people are talking about when your're a kid. So, you two who are studying a language , learn as if you're tow. Seriously look for some kid books(I don't know about Latin so much) and just fight through with a dictionary and maybe a little google translator. Again, I don't know why I thought of that.

What is seminary this year? D&C, right? Rough stuff. I really had a hard time with it. I just didn't find it that interesting in school. If you find that you're having trouble being interested in it, I'd suggest reading Our Heritage. It's a history, sure, but it rips through the D&C ten times faster than a teacher does and makes the important stuff obvious.

I don't have my notes, can you tell?

Do you actually want pictures? I can get some printed here for suprisingly little, if you want me to.

I have about 40 seconds left. I´m doing good, okay

I'd like to address the readers and stuff (if that's how these are posted).

You're probably good at some subject in school. There may be a few, or just one. Maybe you're good at something outside of school instead. All things considered, there is going to be something you are above-average at doing. Make no mistake - that thing is a gift from God. He has sent you equipped to combat any trial that could be contrived for you. He has seen the end from the beginning and has given you well enough the tools you will need. Have you ever seen Paycheck? Those who have know what I mean.

For example, Ben Affleck is sorting out these things he's been given with the evil future-police on his tail. He had just escaped said police with glasses that allowed him to see through smoke that was created by a cigarette he was also given, that just happened to be a smoke bomb. One of the things he pulls out is a nice woman's wedding band. A teenager falls over him, but in reality steals the ring and runs off the bus. Ben Affleck chases him - not catching him - but it leads him to the place he needed to go next, as the police were just about board the bus and capture him. He lost the ring! It was a bad thing. It could have been a nice job. I could have been some solid investments. It was lost for a reason you can't even realize yet. But there is a reason. There's always a reason.

Love,

Élder Alex C Crist

No comments:

Post a Comment